- First ensure you find the MAC address of the correct computer
- If this is a locked license it will simply be the system you want to run the software on
- For floating licenses you will need to decide on a machine which will run the PTC license server
- Once you have established this, launch the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ from either your system tray or the ‘Control Panel’
- Go to ‘Change Adapter Settings’ which will list the network devices connected to your computer
- Make sure you select the network device which is for the Ethernet port rather than your Wi-Fi.
- This is because Wi-Fi adapters can be easily disabled which will cause your license to fail
- Some users will have ‘Virtual’ network ports which do not physically exist on the computer. Do not select when finding your MAC address.
- If you have multiple physical Ethernet ports it doesn’t matter which one you choose.
- Right click on the Ethernet port and choose ‘Status’
- Go to ‘Details’ and find the ‘Physical Address’ in the format 00-00-00-00-00-00
- Make a note of this address as it will be used to generate your license file
Why do I need to know a MAC address to create a license?
Every PTC license is assigned to a computer. To be more specific the license is tied to a specific network device on the machine, e.g. an Ethernet port. Every network device has a unique address which is used to identify your computer system. This address is commonly known as a MAC address, CPU ID or Physical address. It is this address which is written into your license file to authenticate the software is being used on the correct computer.