This procedure is required to run Creo 4.0 M010 onwards. During this process clients connected to the license server will experience downtime. Once the update is finished the clients will connect to the server as normal. Ensure you are logged in as administrator to perform this update.
Finding & Removing The Existing PTC License Server
1. Access the system which is running the PTC license server.
2. Go to ‘Services’ to find the existing server installation.
- Newer versions of the PTC license server will be called ‘lmadmin_ptc’
- Older versions will be called ‘flexnet for PTC’
- Only one of these should running at any one time
3. Once you have identified the service which is currently running, enter the ‘Properties’ menu and copy the path to the executable.
- This will likely be C:\Program Files\PTC\FLEXnet Admin License Server
- Or for older versions C:\Program Files(x86)\flexnet
4. When in this location access the ‘licensing folder from Windows Explorer. This contains the ‘license.dat’ file which the PTC license server is currently hosting. Copy this to a safe location in order to re-host it when the new version is installed.
5. Go back to the ‘Services’ window and stop the PTC license server. This will allow you to uninstall the server through ‘Programs and Features’ from ‘Control Panel’.
Installing The Updated PTC License Server
1. Download the latest Flexnet license server for PTC from our website to ensure you are using the correct version (V11.14 or newer). Alternatively the license server is available within most PTC product installers as shown in the video. If you do not use the very latest installation media you may not get the required version.
3. Run the installer as administrator.
4. When the installation gets to the ‘Licenses’ stage you will need to import your existing ‘license.dat’ file or any new licence file you may have generated.
The server will now install and automatically start running.